The following motion was passed at the 2016 National Union of Students conference, which took place in Brighton 19-21 April. It was written by Momentum NHS supporters and proposed by one of them, Edinburgh University delegate Vijay Jackson.
Motion 506 | Fight to save the National Health Service – back the junior doctors and NHS bursary struggles
Submitted by: Edinburgh University Students’ Association
1. That the momentum of the junior doctors’ dispute about working conditions and the “Bursary or Bust” campaign to save NHS student bursaries gives us an opportunity to more actively oppose the Tories’ dismantling and privatisation of the NHS.
2. That the NHS Bill, which when motions was submitted was about to return to Parliament, provides a rough outline of how to reverse the assault on the NHS.
Conference Further Believes
1. That health workers’ struggles are an essential part of the fight to save the health service. If the junior doctors’ and bursary struggles win, it will put us in a much stronger position to oppose the privatisation agenda.
2. That the NHS as its best has represented at least elements of planning and provision for need in the midst of an exploitative and unequal society – at least aspiring to the idea that everyone has an equal right to life and health regardless of wealth. We must save it.
1. To support the junior doctors’ strikes and the NHS bursary struggle.
2. To devote financial and other resources to helping students nurses and health professionals in this fight.
3. To support and campaign for an end to cuts, marketisation and privatisation in the NHS, and for a comprehensive, well funded, publicly owned, run and provided health service meeting clinical need. We support the NHS Bill and will lobby MPs to back it.